I don’t know what it is about mushrooms, I love them. So I’m happily adding this recipe to my blog in hopes of trying it out pretty soon. This was another one from a fast and healthy recipe book I have, and serves 8 people. There’s only 50 tiny kcals per serving too so its basically a sin free appetizer as well that you can enjoy when on a diet. This recipe does call for a specific breading though, which I am sure can be substituted in many ways. If you figure out anything else you can use, let me know in the comments below, I look forward to your opinion and help in figuring out alternatives.
- 1 egg or 1/4 C refrigerated or frozen fat free egg product
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 8 oz of mushrooms (Usually one package)
- 3/4 C crushed Melba round snacks (about 18 snacks or other crackers)
- 8-10 drops of hot pepper sauce (Totally optional)
- Olive Oil or nonstick cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 450° F (230°C), and line a baking pan ( 15x10x1 in) with foil
- In a small bowl, combine the egg (or egg product), onion salt, and if you want, Hot sauce,blending it well.
- Place the flour in a resealable plastic bag or another small bowl. Place snack crumbs on a sheet of waxed paper or in another small bowl.
- Place mushrooms in the bag or bowl of flour; Shake or stir in to coat.
- For each mushroom; Shake off the excess flour. Dip each into the egg mixture; and then coat well with snack crumbs.
- Place on the foil-lined pan. For crispier mushrooms, spray all sides of the mushrooms with nonstick cooking spray
- Bake at 450 for 8-12 minutes or until hot and crisp.